NBCUniversal EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT AND CHIEF DIVERSITY OFFICER
Headquarters: New York, NY
Business: Media & Technology
CEO: Steve Burke
NBCUniversal STEADFAST IN DIVERSITY COMMITMENT BOTH IN FRONT OF AND BEHIND THE CAMERA
As one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies, NBCUniversal has an extraordinary opportunity to influence the depiction and perceptions of underrepresented groups.
“We’re committed to increasing diversity in front of and behind the camera, and to developing relevant and authentic content across our platforms,“ NBCUniversal Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer Craig Robinson said. “We believe that it’s our responsibility to provide a culture where individuals of all backgrounds can succeed and thrive, and that in such an environment, people will do their best work,” he added.
In order to continue to drive progress, cultural change and to meet new challenges, Robinson says it’s essential that the diversity and inclusion teams act as a collaborative partner across all of its businesses. “The conversation can’t only take place when the D&I team is in the room – it needs to be an element of every decision, every day,” he said.
The Universal Pictures’ Emerging Writers Fellowship is an example of how NBCUniversal designs programs to help overcome some of the traditional barriers of entry for diverse voices. “There is continued work to be done in both gender and ethnic diversity in the industry and the success of the Writers Fellowship has encouraged us all to look closely at designing similar programs in other areas,” Robinson said.
STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE
Continuing to diversify its workforce remains an ongoing priority at NBCUniversal. “It’s equally important that we not only employ a varied workforce, but that those employees are in positions where their voices can be heard, which is why we invest so heavily in leadership development programs across the company,” Robinson said. “Diversity and inclusiveness of an organization is a strong indicator of its overall strength and resilience,” he added.
The NBCUniversal Hispanic Group, which includes Telemundo Network, is an important part of the company’s portfolio. “We consistently benefit from their successes, creativity and insights as we continue to deliver programming that appeals to a rapidly changing demographic landscape,” Robinson said.
The NBC Network is a home to shows starring diverse talent, including Jennifer Lopez, Eva Longoria, America Ferrera and Jerrod Carmichael. Its 2015 programming showcased an all-star lineup of diverse talent both on screen and behind the scenes with “The Wiz Live!” E! launched the groundbreaking series “I Am Cait,” helping change the way people view the transgender community. And Universal Pictures brought us the critically acclaimed “Straight Outta Compton,” the highest-grossing musical biopic of all time.
COLLABORATION ACROSS BUSINESSES
The NBCUniversal Office of Diversity and Inclusion consists of 10 people, with another 15 senior executives sitting on the NBCUniversal Diversity Council. The company has eight employee resource groups with more than 40 chapters and nearly 8,000 members. The groups are: MyAbilities Network, Women’s Network, Black Employee Network, Asian Pacific Americans, Veterans Network, OUT, Unidos and Young Professionals Network, all of which serve as resources that touch all parts of the company.
“As our team has delivered on the promise of being collaborative, we are able to be a partner in the business discussion in a meaningful way,” Robinson said.
NBC News and NBCUniversal Legal also have Diversity Councils, and NBCUniversal Advertising Sales is home to the Advertising Sales Associates Program. NBC Sports diversity and inclusion programs include the NBC Sports Associates Program, NBC Sports Technical Apprentice Program, and the NBC Sports Production Assistant Program.
Robinson is responsible for defining, enabling and fostering a corporate culture that values diversity of backgrounds, talent, experiences and ideas across the company, including in the areas of programming, workforce, governance, community investment and supplier diversity.
HIGHLIGHTS OF NBCUniversal’s RECENT D&I RECOGNITION INCLUDE:
- Profiles in Diversity Journal – Diversity Leader Award
- LATINA Style – Company of the Year
- The National Center for American Indian Enterprise Development – Corporate Advocate of the Year Award
- The American Association of People with Disabilities – Corporate Leadership Award
- Latino Magazine – LATINO 100
- Women’s Enterprise – WE USA 100.
- Comcast NBCUniversal scored 100 of 100 points on the
- US Business Leadership Network and American Association of People with Disabilities’ – Disability Equality Index 100/100 score
- Equal Opportunity Magazine – Top 50 Employers
- Black Enterprise – 35 Top Companies for Supplier Diversity.
- National Veteran-Owned Business Association – Military Friendly Supplier Diversity Programs.
- Profiles in Diversity Journal – 25 Most Influential Companies for Veteran Hiring
- HRC Corporate Equality Index – rating of 100
- G.I. Jobs – Top 100 Military Friendly Employers for 2015
- Careers and the disABLED – Top 50 Employers
- 23 nominations for the 27th Annual GLAAD Media Awards, which recognize and honor media for fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of the LGBT community and the issues that affect their lives.